If you suffer from severe headaches, which are additionally accompanied by nausea, vomiting, photophobia, sensitivity to sounds, it is highly likely that it is migraine… In this case, you can take advantage of an online medical consultation, after which you will receive indications and an e-prescription to be carried out at any pharmacy.
To facilitate the diagnosis of this disease, the following criteria for its diagnosis have been created:
1. Episodic headaches that last from 4 to 72 hours
2. Headache of a nature (at least 2 of 4 traits)
- Moderate to severe pain (limiting or preventing normal functioning)
- Worsening of discomfort during movement
3.Coexistence of accompanying symptoms (at least 1 of 2 features)
- Nausea / vomiting
- Photosensitivity / sensitivity to sound
The most common causes of a migraine attack are: stress, hormonal changes (menstruation, ovulation, hormone therapy), certain foods (chocolate, dairy, alcohol), sleep (too long and too short), fatigue, certain medications, flashing lights.
The treatment of migraine can be divided into:
1. Discontinuation of an acute episode – it should be remembered that it is very important to start taking drugs as soon as possible – in order to achieve the best clinical results in the form of:
* rapid relief of migraine attacks,
* minimize the number of side effects of drugs (a greater chance that a lower dose of the drug will work effectively),
* less frequent relapses of pain
2. Prophylactic – aimed at reducing the frequency of episodes.
In the treatment of an acute episode of migraine, it is very important to start medications as soon as possible. Such a procedure gives a chance for a quicker resolution of the attack, increases the effectiveness of the drugs used, reduces the number of side effects of the drugs used and reduces the number of relapses.
Prepared on the basis of the textbook by Interna E. Szczeklik.